by Rev. Craig Hirshberg, Executive Director
February may be cold, but in Trenton, things are heating up:
- Gun violence prevention is becoming a major focus in the legislature. Our testimony in support of the proposed bills can be seen by going to the following:http://www.northjersey.com/news/state/NJ_lawmakers_consider_25_bills_reforming_gun_laws.html?page=all and http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/nyregion/new-jersey-assembly-committee-approves-tightening-gun-laws.html?_r=0
- A new UULMNJ gun violence prevention committee is being formed to organize UU’s for better gun control. If you are interested in working on this issue, contact Diane Finn at email@example.com
- A Marriage Equality Resolution has been passed by Summit, Plainfield and Morristown congregations and is going to be presented at the Annual District Meeting in May in Morristown. Join many UU’s on the Morristown Green on May 3 at 5 PM as we march in support of marriage equality.
- UULMNJ member congregations sent approximately 400 letters to President Obama asking him to support comprehensive immigration reform. Finally, we are beginning to see movement in this critical public policy area.
- Mark your calendars for April 20. The 2013 UULMNJ Plenary will be held at Washington Crossing from 9 to 3. This is one of the few times we are able to get together from around the state. Registration information will follow soon.