Communications Associate at Make the Road New Jersey
Make the Road New Jersey builds the power of Latinx and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through community organizing, legal services policy innovation and transformative education. Founded in late 2014, MRNJ is headquartered in Elizabeth, NJ and we also organize and provide services in Passaic, NJ. Our members have won multiple campaigns for pro-immigrant and pro-worker policies and engage in organizing to impact change on the local, state and federal level. Our legal services and education teams serve thousands of immigrant families annually through direct representation in immigration matters, Know Your Rights trainings, and ESOL and worker safety classes.
The Communications Associate, working closely with senior staff, will promote our diverse programs to a range of audiences and amplify our campaigns. The Communications Associate will manage print and web media production, media outreach, online campaign organizing, event promotion and some donor communication and materials development. The Communications Associate will also provide communications support to the broader immigrant rights movement in New Jersey on our shared campaigns, and to our allied organization Wind of the Spirit, based in Morristown, NJ.
Strong writing skills, good design and messaging instincts, and a foundational knowledge of online outreach and social media are a must. Top applicants will have prior professional communications experience in nonprofits, government, campaigns or the private sector, and all candidates must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
This position requires precision and excellent writing skills in English; however, preference will be given to those with Spanish language skills to be able to communicate with our members and post bilingually on social media.
Applicants must possess a commitment to social justice and be able to clearly articulate the mission and political context for MRNJ’s work.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES: (We understand that some of these responsibilities may require additional training and are also looking for candidates with the potential to excel at these areas of work.)
- Drafting tight, engaging email blasts, blog content, social media posts.
- Responding to press inquiries in English and general inquiries on the web in English and Spanish. Preparing our members to engage with press through trainings and 1:1 support.
- Managing publicity design and visual components of donor events.
- Growing and maintaining supporter, press, and membership e-lists across databases.
- Developing online campaigns to augment on-the-ground program work (incorporating bilingual outreach, petitions, social media, etc), and measuring/optimizing their effectiveness.
- Managing external events and social media calendar.
- Maintaining press, photo, and media archives.
- Managing the photography of actions, events, and for publications as needed.
- Creating or managing the creation of short videos to promote the organization’s programs.
- Producing materials and publications to advertise the organization’s work to the general public, members, and funders (including annual report, brochures, press packets, postcards, swag, etc.).
- Providing support to senior staff on presentations, events, writing and occasional administrative backup.
SKILLS: (A basic familiarity with some of the following or their related counterparts will be major assets to this position.)
- Creating and manipulating website content using a Content Management System (examples of CMS include: WordPress, NationBuilder, Drupal)
- Managing and writing for mass email lists
- Basic graphic design (understanding of design principles a must)
- Experience using: Salesforce, NationBuilder, Constant Contact, Adobe Creative Suite (including Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, inDesign, Dreamweaver, Premiere), Prezi, Hootsuite, screen printing.
Salary based on experience with generous benefits.
Please immediately send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. You should attach the cover letter and resume AND copy both into body of the email.
Make the Road New Jersey is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and seeks to insure equal opportunity and equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, religion, color, citizenship, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, gender identity, genetic information and sexual orientation, in all employment decisions including but not limited to hiring, compensation, benefits, training, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.